[ckan-dev] Heads up: new Resource Views merged to master

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Wed Jul 23 16:19:16 UTC 2014

Hi all,

It seemed like it would never happen, but the new Resource Views
branch (#1251) [1] has been finally merged to master. We are really
excited about this, as it opens the door to greatly improve how
resource visualizations are handled and allows a lot of exciting
possibilities for integrating with other services and adding cool new
features.

The feature is now deployed to http://master.ckan.org
Go to a resource page of a dataset you have permissions on and click
the "Views" tab on the "Manage" section to get started, or check this
example:

http://master.ckan.org/dataset/resource-views-example/resource/4abb179d-a96a-4922-92da-a8c6c5b6a8a5

(I'm sure Vitor will create more exciting examples soon ;) )

You will quickly notice that the work is not over yet though. We
particularly need to improve how default views are handled, the
command line interface and the UI (it doesn't look that great right
now). There are also lots of docs needed. We've collected these
pending issues in the following GitHub issue:

    https://github.com/ckan/ckan/issues/1851

There is some previous background on this wiki page, which in all
likelihood will have some outdated information (all this stuff should
be properly moved to the docs).

    https://github.com/ckan/ckan/wiki/Resource-Views

So, if you are running a development version of CKAN on master be
aware that you'll need to change some things to get the resource views
right. A quick summary:

* `paster db upgrade` to get the new tables

* `python setup.py develop` to register the new plugins

* `./bin/less` to rebuild the frontend

* Change the view plugins on your ini file:

    ckan.plugins = resource_proxy datastore datapusher text_view
pdf_view recline_grid_view recline_graph_view recline_map_view

* `paster views create all` to get the new resource views created for
your existing resources.

Note that tabular based visualizations require data to be in the
DataStore (probably uploaded via DataPusher). DataProxy won't be
longer supported by default.

If you have any feedback or find any bugs add your comments on Github
(make sure that the issue is not already known first). Any help in
coding what's left, testing or documenting will be greatly
appreciated!

Cheers,

Adrià