[ckan-dev] install instructions for 2.2: link to /etc/ckan directory

Brenda J. Butler bjb at sourcerer.ca
Sat Jul 26 15:38:32 UTC 2014

In ckan v2.2, the "install from source" instructions say to link from
/etc/ckan to your ckan instance (development directory).  Then the
instructions ask you to make a subdirectory in /etc/ckan for the
instance config.

But that means it would be difficult (or at least require a different
approach) to have another ckan instance on your machine.  Either the
other instance would have to have its config files in the first
instance's working directory (because that's where /etc/ckan points),
or there would have to be a solution that doesn't match the docs.
This is confusing for new users.

I think that a directory /etc/ckan should be made, and a link created
for each instance to the instance config.  Would this be a problem?
I'm a bit new to ckan so maybe I have missed something.

v2.2 instructions:

/etc/ckan -> /home/me/ckaninst01 (with development.ini here)

My suggestion:

/etc/ckan/ckaninst01 -> /home/me/ckaninst01/etc/ (with development.ini here)

or even

/etc/ckan/ckaninst01 -> /home/me/ckaninst01/etc/ckan/ (with development.ini here)

If this suggestion gets the go-ahead, I can make a documentation patch.

bjb