[ckan-dev] CKAN on top of Existing DBs

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 09:58:25 UTC 2014

It’d be really useful to have some user stories for this I think. For instance, what does the user provide instead of a file or URL? Is it an ODBC connection string and a query? How would it safely handle authentication with the DB?

Perhaps it would be better for the user to provide an OData endpoint url when creating a resource?  Or a separate simple flask app that does the DB->CSV conversion for display (and perhaps allows you to specify a query in the preview?).

At the moment, although I understand the high level request, I’m not really sure how you envision it working.  I can’t see why it can’t be built though (other than not being very clear) particularly if you can provide the data via a URL.

Ross