[ckan-dev] CKAN on top of Existing DBs

Alfredo Serafini seralf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:31:19 UTC 2014

> > For example I'm currently working for a client which uses only
> SQLServer, and I cannot avoid that. If i'd have support for this database,
> I could suggest them to install python on windows and start using CKAN as
> platform.
>
> There have been some attempts at this ?
> http://ckan.org/2012/03/30/ckan-on-windows/ was the most recent
> case-study I found, last time I looked/asked this list.

yes I've seen the link, but it actually points to an empty page :-/
The other option includes using a virtual machine, which was my first
option, but I cannot use a VM other than a microsoft one at the moment
(weird enough, I know, but it's not a choice of mine...)

> I?ve seen (on-site, with clients) some set-ups where SAP will spit out
> data via the SAP API, to enable data to make it from SAP -> CKAN. I?m
> fairly sure some Oracles will also support this route. Not so sure about
> SQL Server.

uhm, I'm not sure I have understand this, do you mean expose the database
data by REST (or similar) API? This could be a workaround for access data,
not for storage

> One thing that would probably be needed is dumping the content ?
> particularly if the database is within a corpnet, and needs access
> permissions (unless, of course, that portal?s going to live internally).

I'm not sure dumping is the solution. BRW even considering this strategy,
in my case I cannot introduce at all another DBMS in their platform, so
even with dumping I have to save data on SQL Server and then access to
those data from CKAN, if possible. (at the moment no, it seems, so at the
moment I cannot promote the adoption of CKAN in this context, unless I will
be able to write the SQL support by myself, in some way)

Does anybody have experience/suggestion about start writing this DB layer
abstraction?

Alfredo