[ckan-dev] File system layout: best practice guide?

John Brisbin john at boab.info
Mon Jun 9 02:43:01 UTC 2014

G'Day all,

The wonderful CKAN docs are far better than many I've encountered: kudos
and appreciations to those who have helped make it happen.

In terms of getting a production system layed out properly, could
someone point me toward advice on how to set up the installation files
so that updates are straightforward and installations of new
themes/plugins go smoothly?

My experience so far is in trying to get the spatial_search plugin
installed properly (ref:
http://docs.ckan.org/projects/ckanext-spatial/en/latest/spatial-search.html).

We seemed to get the extension installed, but when I've restarted the
service we get:

----

ckan.plugins.core.PluginNotFoundException: spatial_metadata

----

Looking into the file system, it's not clear to me where this plugin is
located, or where it *should be* located.

We have paths like this:

/usr/lib/ckan/default/src/ckan/src/ckanext-spatial/ckanext/spatial

I can't see how this will make it easy to update ckan when our
additional extensions are located under ckan/default/src/..

Is this normal practice?

Assuming it is, how would I go about trying to locate this missing
spatial_metadata plugin?

Do I manually delete some fork of the file system and start over with
the extension install?

Thanks in advance for advice...and patience while I grind away in the
foothills of this learning curve!

Kind regards,

JB

--
John Brisbin
Managing Director, BoaB interactive Pty Ltd

E: john at boab.info
M: 0407 471 565 | P: 07 4094 2172
Skype: boabjohn | Twitter: @boabjohn