[ckan-dev] Session storage and stateless instances

Nick Stenning nick.stenning at okfn.org
Fri May 16 18:05:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have two questions: one specific, and one general.

1. If I found time to make the appropriate adjustments to CKAN to make
the database the default session store, would anyone be averse to that?
Storing sessions on disk causes all kinds of problems, the most
important of which for me is that it makes it difficult to load balance
multiple identically-configured CKAN instances. One either has to define
server affinity based on session cookies, or put the filesystem session
storage onto a network filesystem, which is a terrible idea on many
levels (atomicity, network partitions, etc.)

2. More generally, is anyone aware of any other aspects of CKAN which
stand in the way of application instances being fully stateless?

-N

--
Nick Stenning
Technical Director, Open Knowledge