[ckan-dev] Data Packages/JSON Table Schema support

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Fri May 23 10:01:45 UTC 2014

As Joe said, datapackager.okfn.org has a bunch of JSON Table Schema
stuff...

>    - Letting a user define a basic schema for a resource (in JSON Table
>    Schema format) within the resource form. Probably with optional dynamic
>    fields.

Well, the way this works on datapackager.okfn.org is:

* User creates a dataset, creates a resource and uploads a file to it

* Datapackager automatically creates an initial JSON Table Schema for
  the file, based on reading column headings from the file, guessing
  column types based on the file contents, computing some stats and
  temporal extents over the columns

* Visit your resource and you'll see a preview of your CSV file, and you
  can click on the columns to explore its JSON Table Schema

* Edit your resource, and you can add/delete/edit metadata on each
  column

>    - Publishing CKAN resources as Data Packages.

Yep, datapackager adds a download link to download a dataset as a data
package zip file.

> If integrations with this protocols is on the roadmap, I might be able to
> lend a hand.

The datapackager project is finished now. What we could do with a hand
with, is integrating some of the above features into CKAN core, or
moving them into standalone generic CKAN extensions.

> I would probably need some guidance, but still, I might be able to help.

We'll be happy to guide if you're interested in working on this, just
find us on this mailing list or in IRC (#ckan)