[ckan-dev] temporal search plugin

Renato Guevara guevara.renato at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 19:27:14 UTC 2014

I researched online for a plugin that can give me temporal search
capabilities.  It seems that there were two plugins out there, namely:

https://github.com/seanh/ckanext-datesearch

and

https://github.com/B2FIND/ckanext-datesearch

I ended up using the second one because it actually ran a search (as the
first one didn't do anything but maybe I wasn't configuring it correctly),
however I modified it so that I could search based on Zulu dates.  I also
made the change in the plugin.py so that it'd search on the "temporal"
field instead of the "metadata_modified" field.  This is where I'm tripping
up a bit.  According to DCAT, the temporal field is formatted as follows:
start_date/end_date.  However, when I run a temporal search it only seems
to be search based on my start_date.  I tried to go into the psql database
to see where temporal would be stored, but I couldn't find it.  I suspect
it should be located in the package_extra table but I couldn't find this
information.  I have two datasets in my ckan instance.  One of which was
imported using a harvester, and another one was entered manually through
the web UI.  Both have a field called "temporal".  Do I have to do anything
special to have this field in the database?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Renato Guevara