[ckan-dev] Featured groups and Organisations

Aaron McGlinchy McGlinchyA at landcareresearch.co.nz
Fri Sep 19 01:35:41 UTC 2014

Hi,
    We have a pretty standard install of CKAN 2.2, with Featured Organisation's and Featured Groups enabled.

I know that you can specify what gets featured using

ckan.featured_groups = group_one group_two

and

ckan.featured_orgs = org_one org_two

However I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that if you did not specify a value that a random organisation and group would be featured.  The organisation and group featured on our home screen haven't been changing, so I think it must just use the first created organisation and first created group - is that the case?

If so, I think it would be more useful if not specified then it is randomly selected, otherwise to get some variety on what's displayed I have to be continually changing the config file settings 'under the hood' (one step up on this would be in the Sysadmin config  setting in the UI to be able to specify which group(s) and organisation(s)). [if I understand correctly I may suggest this 'tweak' for the roadmap]

Meantime, can I just check - I have an organisation called "Aarons Organisation", its part of the URL ckan assigns is "aarons-organisaion".  I presume to specify that organisation to be featured I would add

ckan.featured_orgs = aarons-organistation

as opposed to ckan.featured_orgs = aarons_organisation  (or as per the CKAN docs example should I use an underscore _ instead of a dash - in place of spaces)?

Thanks
Aaron