[ckan-dev] Global Resource Identifier: is it possible?

Alessandro Portosa alessandro.portosa at eng.it
Tue Apr 7 10:40:30 UTC 2015

Hello, I have a question on how the resource (or even the dataset) ID is
generated.
Context: I have integrated CKAN inside an analysis tool, where resources
medata can be saved locally.
The tool should not be tied to a specific CKAN instance, but the user
can change the target CKAN url (datahub.io, data.gov, and so on). My
problem is: I would like to globally identify resources and dataset, but
I'm not sure how the ID is built. Can anyone give me explanation about
that? It is really important for us, because metadata are saved in our
DB using CKAN resource ID as primary key and I need to be sure that
there will be no conflict if using different CKAN instances.

Alessandro.