[ckan-dev] Solr schema adjustements

Joe Tsoi joe.tsoi at okfn.org
Wed Aug 12 00:03:46 UTC 2015

Hi Dan,

This is the sort of are that I've been meaning to add to the docs for
a while. You shouldn't need to mess around with the schema to do what
you require, as the schema already contains the tags the dataset has.
Although I may be misreading what you require.

I would use use boosting to improve the search relevency of the alpha
datasets. For example I can search for datasets containing a "test"
tag or a "economics" tag, but also boost the search relevency of any
dataset with the tag economics by typing  "(tags:Test) OR
(tags:economics)^2.0" into the default search box. You can see and
example of this on demo.ckan.org

http://demo.ckan.org/dataset?q=(tags%3ATest)+OR+(tags%3Aeconomics)^2.0

The economics results will appear above the test tag results as we've
boosted their relevency. I recommend you take a look at some of the
solr tutorials out there if you want to know more

http://www.solrtutorial.com/solr-search-relevancy.html

anything passed to q will be passed along to the q parameter in solr.
You could probably mess around with the front end templates to help
users construct this query instead of having users have to know solr
syntax, but as I said this is an area I've been meaning to add to the
docs for a while.

hope that helps a bit.

Joe