[ckan-dev] Dataset and Resource URL

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Fri Dec 4 15:18:27 UTC 2015

Hi Natália,

I guess you are refering to the GUIDs in the URL.
The URL for the file can be reduced a little bit, by using the name of the
dataset instead of its title ->
http://ckan.jbrj.gov.br/dataset/floradobrasil/resource/d00c269a-6558-4871-9117-f95b7884901a/download/seedplant.pdf
So you can replace 02334059-a38a-408b-8b85-44905cbe426e with floradobrasil.
The version with the GUID is more stable, as you can actually change the
name of the dataset, and the link stays valid.

With the resources the standard solution is to always use the GUID to get a
unique link for a resource (e.g. it is possible to have two resources with
the same name or a resource with no name at all). It shouldn't be too hard
to create an extension to resolve resource names to create better readable
URLs, but I would advice against it because of the reasons mentioned
before. IMHO a stable link is far more valuable and important, than one
that is more readable.

Maybe you could consider to use a short-url service to create
easy-to-remember links.

- Stefan

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Natalia Queiroz <queiroz.nati at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anyone?
>
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Natalia Queiroz <queiroz.nati at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Group,
>>
>> I'd noted that it is possible to edit the name of a dataset on ckan, but
>> it is no possible to do in a resource.
>>
>> The URL to access the resource is very big
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> This is the page for resource "Growing knowledge: an overview of Seed
>> Plant", a pdf file
>>

>> http://ckan.jbrj.gov.br/dataset/floradobrasil/resource/d00c269a-6558-4871-9117-f95b7884901a
>>
>> The URL to access the file is even bigger
>>
>> http://ckan.jbrj.gov.br/dataset/02334059-a38a-408b-8b85-44905cbe426e/resource/d00c269a-6558-4871-9117-f95b7884901a/download/seedplant.pdf
>>
>> Is that any possibility to change it? or reduce?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>>

>> Natália Oliveira
>>

> --
>

> Natália Oliveira

Liip AG  // Limmatstrasse 183 //  CH-8005 Zürich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch