[ckan-dev] 2.3 release: testers needed / last call for translations

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Tue Feb 17 16:11:47 UTC 2015

Hi all,

After a great deal of work and some delays the next 2.3 release is getting
closer. Our current plan is to do a final freeze and pull the latest
translations next Wednesday 25th February, and if all the final testing,
packaging etc goes according to plan, do the actual release a week later,
on Wednesday 4th March.

There are a couple of ways in which you can help:

## Translations

There are still many languages with strings pending translation (big props
to our Swedish and Taiwanese friends who were the first to complete them!).
You can help translating a few strings on Transifex or reviewing existing
ones. It is really easy to register and to edit the translations:

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/ckan/

We will pull the translations from Transifex next Wednesday, after that new
translations will have to wait until the next patch release.

## Testing

Spending a few minutes testing the next release can really make a
difference. There is only so much we can test in the limited time and
resources that we have, so the more people that has a play and tests things
in different environments and configurations, the more bugs and issues we
can find.

You can test the 2.3 branch by:

* Installing this Release Candidate package using the "Install from
package" instructions [1]

    http://s138.okserver.org/build/python-ckan_2.3-1_amd64.deb

   (There are also packages available for testing for the patch releases
for previous versions)

* On a source install, using the "release-v2.3" branch [2]

* Play around on http://beta.ckan.org, which is updated automatically every
night with the latest code.

In any case, if you find some bug or issue please create an issue on the
main CKAN repo:

https://github.com/ckan/ckan/issues

Let me know if you have any comment or question.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Adrià

[1]
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/maintaining/installing/install-from-package.html