[ckan-dev] 2.3 update

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Mon Jan 12 16:11:53 UTC 2015

Hi all,

First of all, apologies for not having given an update recently on the
2.3 release status. Things slowed down a bit during Christmas break
but they will pick up speed again soon. Unfortunately we didn't manage
to fork the release branch before Christmas, as the major pending
issues turned out to have wider implications than expected and not all
devs from the tech team were available for core CKAN work. Pending
issues were mostly related with the DataStore and the new Resource
Views. We've got most of them out of the way by now but there are a
couple of them still pending review. Once these are merged into master
we will create the 2.3 branch, and start the proper release process.

There is some work that still needs to be done for Resource Views
(documentation and migration commands), but this can be merged
afterwards to the release branch (There is more detail at the bottom
for those interested).

It's hard to give an estimate of when will the release be ready. I
would love to have the pending PRs merged this week, which will allow
us to branch and start the testing (with the help of the community).
On previous versions it's been roughly 3-4 weeks until the actual
release from then, so I'd expect that to be the case with 2.3 as well.

Hope this makes sense,

Adrià

---

More detail:

Top priorities are:

    * #1852: This needs to be merged before branching, because it
changes quite a lot of files
    * #2179: This adds new strings to be translated, so it needs to
get merged before the translation freeze
    * #2145: This is a straightforward one on CKAN, but we need to
clarify how to link CKAN and DataPusher versions

Pending new work (issues coming soon):

    * Improve migration commands for resource views (`paster views
create`) based on #1852
    * Full resource views documentation

Apart from that, only bug fixes will be added to 2.3.