[ckan-dev] CKAN as an API Proxy

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Fri Jan 9 17:38:00 UTC 2015

We will be posting publicly available data, but there are still a few
> reasons we would like authentication. Mostly it’s a mechanism to support
> communication with our API consumers (we’d collect contact information from
> each consumer). Also we anticipate developers using the APIs in
> applications and would like to be able to throttle requests if that became
> necessary. Finally it does leave the door open to publishing more sensitive
> data.

Ok.

> If we decided to use CKAN, I guess we’ll need to build something…or more
> likely modify an existing API proxy. If we did that do you think there’d be
> any value from sticking with python? We are debating about python verses a
> node solution.

This very much depends on your developer(s). From a technical POV I don't
think it matters. Of course with python you stay in one "world" and could
potentially re-use some CKAN module/code. But if it's really about an API
proxy, it shouldn't matter. I personally would be a lot faster with a node
solution, but that's probably because I've already done similar things with
it.

- Stefan

--
Liip AG  // Limmatstrasse 183 //  CH-8005 Zürich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch