[ckan-dev] release date for 2.4

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Wed Mar 18 14:23:15 UTC 2015

Clearly frequent releases are necessary. I can't tell how you got the 6
months figure but it doesn't feel frequent enough to me. If someone is
doing a block of customizing, it might take 1 or 2 months. If they want a
new feature or bugfix and its not going to be released for several months
then they are more likely to fix it themselves on their own fork of ckan,
will be further from master and less likely to contribute it back.

The 2.3 release was exceptional for being almost 13 months after 2.2.
Nearly all previous releases were spaced 3 or 4 months after the previous
one.

The policy has been to just release regularly every three months. This was
disrupted in the last release by the premature merging of a large and
incomplete feature, and perhaps the notion that OKF was passing
responsibility for releases to the CKAN Association. If we work to keep the
master branch in a useful state then it shouldn't become an issue again.

What does need addressing is the cost of doing a release. I guessing it is
a few days work. I think the tech team should review it, minimize the cost
and codify it to make it easier for other people to do it, aside from Adria.

David