[ckan-dev] CKAN/OpenSpending integration

Stéphane Guidoin stephane at opennorth.ca
Fri Mar 20 13:05:55 UTC 2015

Yes, indeed, I had contact with a municipality using CKAN and willing to
have an openspending-like visualisation.

Thanks Tryggvi!

Stéphane

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM, Tryggvi Björgvinsson <
tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just posted a small blog post on the CKAN blog about two extensions
> that were made possible with the recent 2.3 release:
>
> http://ckan.org/2015/03/20/presenting-public-finance-just-got-easier/
>
> In the new release we now have the possibility to extend resources
> (files) in the same way we have been able to extend packages (datasets).
> This opens up the possibility to process uploaded files and do something
> with them.
>
> One of the extensions adds four fields to the the resource page in order
> to from there create something called budget data package (a
> standardised format for budget data publications)[1]. This makes
> integrations between CKAN and other budget systems very easy.
>
> The second extension takes the standardised budget data package (if
> published) and posts that to OpenSpending via its budget data package API.
>
> So it's now really easy to go from a budget file to an OpenSpending
> visualisation, and the only interface needed for managing it is CKAN
> (you still need to set up the OpenSpending visualisation site but that's
> very easy with the OpenSpendingJS visualisation library).
>
> We've already tested this with the Mexico 2015 budget which I then
> visualised with a demo here:
> http://tryggvib.github.io/mexican-budget-data-package
>
> It's basically a really simple html site, code here:
>
> https://github.com/tryggvib/mexican-budget-data-package/blob/gh-pages/index.html
>
> Just thought I'd let you all know :)
>
> /Tryggvi
>
> [1] http://fiscal.dataprotocols.org/

Stéphane Guidoin
Director of product and service development
Open North
514-862-0084
http://opennorth.ca
Twitter: @opennorth / @hoedic