[ckan-dev] New to the list; academic project making CKAN extensions

Matthew Cleinman mcleinma at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 3 19:06:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm a Master of Information Systems Management student at Carnegie Mellon, and along with four of my peers we're planning on building 1-2 extensions to CKAN as part of our capstone project.  We're working with the City of Philadelphia, a CKAN user, and are implementing add-ins that they - and hopefully others - will find useful.

*         Adding metadata for the actual dataset into CKAN.  This data dictionary would have information about every field in the set - name, alias, type, description.  (Currently, Philadelphia often has one data source in CKAN that is the metadata for the data set.  This would allow CKAN to handle the metadata directly.)

*         Adding another grouping/dimension for data sources within a dataset.  For instance, when the city has multiple data sources for a data set that span multiple years, they manually add a year in the data source name: https://www.opendataphilly.org/dataset/city-council-districts.  This extension would allow CKAN to logically group the data sources from each year, presenting a cleaner interface to the user and another (optional) level of organization for the admin.

If you have any feedback on these ideas, or how to make them more generally-usable to other cities/regions, please let me know!

Thanks,
Matt Cleinman