[ckan-dev] CORS issue whe using CKAN API for creating resource

lucia.espona at wsl.ch lucia.espona at wsl.ch
Fri Apr 29 13:26:48 UTC 2016

 Dear Matthew

I am still waiting for my server admin to install NGINX but I easily managed to add the CORS headers through the Apache configuration as ypu suggested. I included below  the added lines to ckan_default.conf in case someone is interested.

Also, I had to set up back to 'false' the ckan.cors.origin_allow_all in the CKAN config file because otherwise they get added again by CKAN and I get the error:
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://ckan.wsl.ch/api/action/package_show?name_or_id=10-9999-184. (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' does not match '*, *').
For what I have read, it is not allowed to specify multiple comma-separated values in the Access-Control-Allow-Origin header, it has to be a single value or regular expression. Does CKAN add the header after the Apache or the other way around? I am doing a "SET header" instead "ADD header" so I guess that appart from setting CORS in CKAN to false there is nothing I can do.

These two files that raised the initial CORS issue, cause a system error in CKAN because now I get the error response. Something may fail in the resource creation process and the answer does not get the CORS headers added, as it properly happens with the successfully uploaded files. If someone is interested in looking into this I can provide more details.

One of the problematic files is a jpg image, the other is an xml with a typo in one of the tags, if I correct the typo the file uploads without any issue through the API.
Is this the expected behaviour of the FileStore? Can this be caused because I am not specifying properly the type of the files?
I understood the FileStore does not go in the content of the files and through the user interface I can upload all the files.

Thanks a lot,
Lucia

************* /etc/httpd/conf.d/ckan_default.conf *******************
    # CORS
    Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
    Header set Access-Control-Allow-Headers "X-CKAN-API-KEY, Authorization, Origin, X-Requested-With, Content-Type, Accept"
    Header set Access-Control-Allow-Methods "POST, PUT, GET, DELETE, OPTIONS"

Dr. Lucia Espona Pernas

Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL
Hauptgebäaude Labortrakt (HL D34)
Zürcherstrasse 111
8903 Birmensdorf
Switzerland