[ckan-dev] Datastore Search Permissions Error / DB Permissions problem

Matthew Fullerton matt.fullerton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:51:30 UTC 2016

I'm getting 403 errors for searches on Datastore tables that are newly
created. The problem also exists at the DB level (the datastore_default
user can select from old tables but not the new ones). These are the
current schema permissions:
CREATE SCHEMA public
  AUTHORIZATION pgadmin;

GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA public TO pgadmin;
GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA public TO ckan_default;
GRANT USAGE ON SCHEMA public TO datastore_default;
COMMENT ON SCHEMA public
  IS 'standard public schema';

ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES IN SCHEMA public
    GRANT SELECT ON TABLES
    TO datastore_default;

I think the problem is with the last bit. This is supposed to make sure
SELECT is given to all new tables created [by ckan_default]. This is set up
by the line in the permissions script:
ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR USER "ckan_default" IN SCHEMA public
             S   GRANT SELECT ON TABLES TO "datastore_default"

I found a reference to this on StackOverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19309416/grant-permissions-to-user-for-any-new-tables-created-in-postgresql
"You can change default privileges only for objects that will be created by
yourself or by roles that you are a member of."

Is there something set up wrong in the arrangement of
schema/users/databases/permissions?

In case its relevant I have 2 DBs and 3 users set up in production.ini:
ckan_default on the CKAN DB, ckan_default on the datastore DB and
datastore_default on the datastore DB.

Thanks,
Matt