[ckan-dev] Meaning of AGPL for CKAN extensions

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Mon Feb 8 17:22:48 UTC 2016

Can someone confirm, that CKAN uses the AGPL and therefore all
plugins/extensions for CKAN must be under the AGPL as well? Or is there a
way to create a "closed source" CKAN extension?

I'm asking because I want the source code of an extension which is
currently labeled "closed source". Is this possible? Does someone already
have experience with this kind of situation?

The way I understand the AGPL is that the source code must be made
available to any user that can access the server, where the code runs (i.e.
if it runs on the internet, any internet user can request the source code).

Thanks for your input!

- Stefan

--
Liip AG  // Limmatstrasse 183 //  CH-8005 Zürich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch