[ckan-dev] API - related items / showcase

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 18:51:44 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

> On 18 Feb 2016, at 18:21, Mike Sinclair <mm.sinclair08 at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the latest documentation the get_related API calls are gone. However there is no reference to the showcase API calls either?  Shouldn't one or the other be in the docs?

'Related' was removed from core because it was badly implemented, in a rush, for the wrong reasons (I should know. I am suitably ashamed).  It's been replaced by the much better designed and implemented https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-showcase - so the documentation is separate because it's in an extension.  The API docs are auto-generated from the docstrings, so there's no obvious place to explain where to look for a replacement.

There's a migration that will warn you if you have any existing 'related' data, to give you the chance to migrate, but I agree it might be good to make it more obvious.  Not everybody checks the changelog. Am sure suggestions/PRs would be welcomed.

Ross.