[ckan-dev] Issues/Questions/Cry for help.

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Thu Jan 7 16:26:55 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I can only tell you, that I already feel very welcome and after now
working with CKAN for ~3 years I feel comfortable to work on almost
any ticket. My current way of contributing to CKAN is not to check for
open issues, but rather fix things that I encounter myself (being it
on one of the many instances I help maintain or while developing an
extension).
Aside from working on this for a customer project, my employer
encourages me to spend 5% of my work time on CKAN development
(~2h/week). And of course I use quite some of my free time, too.
So yeah it's not much, but it's something.

Now the question is: where do I spend my time best? Maybe I should
consider to include the open issues in my routine, just like I
regularly check the mailing lists for questions I can answer.

To attract new people, the CKAN project could consider to sign up at
http://up-for-grabs.net, a service targeted at people, who want to
join the open source movement (I guess there must be more similar
services around). So this would be an ideal place to promote the "Good
for Contribution" issues.

- Stefan

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope everyone that had holidays recently had a relaxing break, and have managed to start 2016 with lots of energy!  I almost managed 1 out of the 2 ;)
>
> After a marathon tech-team meeting today I noticed that we’ve got to 320 open issues, which are not evenly distributed and I thought it would be worth taking steps to rectify this before it gets even more out of hand.
>
> My suggestions are:
>
> 1. Remove the assignee if something has been marked good for contribution
>
> 2. Close anything over 18 months old with a message asking for it to be re-opened if this is still an issue, and/or the reporter is willing to help.
>
> 3. Hold an amnesty for users with large numbers of assigned bugs to allow the bugs to get re-distributed, specifically for issues that they don’t realistically think they’ll get around to.
>
> 4. Encourage more people working with CKAN to contribute to core if/when they have time to do so.
>

> 1-3 are really just general ticket gardening, but I think #4 is a pretty important one that is necessary if we’re to make CKAN ‘more awesome’ in 2016 and it is obviously very important for sustainability.
>
> I’m not sure how to encourage more people to contribute to core - not necessarily a huge investment in time, just the occasional ticket or whatever they feel comfortable with.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Is everyone okay with points 1-3?
>
> 2. Does anyone have suggestions for 4?
>
> 3. Does anyone on the ML who uses CKAN (by writing extensions for instance) want to contribute more?  Is there something that impacts your decision to contribute or not? What can we do to help you start contributing?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ross

Liip AG  // Limmatstrasse 183 //  CH-8005 Zürich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch