[ckan-dev] Issues/Questions/Cry for help.

Harald von Waldow harald.vonwaldow at eawag.ch
Thu Jan 14 15:46:54 UTC 2016

On 14.01.2016 13:56, Matthew Fullerton wrote:
> Hi all,
> Great mail Ross. From my experience I largely agree with Steve; it is
> also a slightly technical problem: useful changes for CKAN core or
> popular CKAN extensions often lie buried in the potential contributor's
> own "catch all" extension and have to be extracted, accepted into the
> upstream code, reinserted and then removed from the private extension.
> This is a lot of boilerplate work and so it just ends up never
> happening.

I totally agree with that and as a totally guilty party I can see how
that happens. Maybe it could be useful to help people make more public
what they are working on or already have in their "private" (= working
but not in shape for contribution) extension.

E.g., if I had a place to quickly describe a feature in a couple of
sentences + screenshot, maybe A and B who also want to use that would
show up, A volunteers to write docu, B to write tests, and then I had
more incentive to refactor and "extract". Admittedly that addresses not
exactly the original topic of the thread (core issues/contributions) but
could be part of a general strategy to help ad-hoc teams to form, who
collaborate on issues that are both, of general interest and also highly
related to their day-job.

All the best,
Harald

---