[ckan-dev] [ckan-global-user-group] RFC: Releases support policy

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Fri Jan 15 12:44:49 UTC 2016

18 months is still 5 or 6 versions of CKAN to support. How about the
tech team only officially supports the latest 2 releases? I would have
thought that covers most small sites, for which relatively small
amounts of customization is done and it's relatively simple to
upgrade.

For larger sites that have lots of custom features it is much harder
to upgrade and only attempt this every year or two. e.g. the likes of
data.gov.uk, data.gov.ca, data.gov, HDX, Natural History Museum, IATI.
Since these are likely to have budgets of order $100k+ could they pay
a few thousand a year to the CKAN Association for the privilege of
having guaranteed continued patch releases for the versions they are
using?

David