[ckan-dev] 413 file too large nginx

Serban Teodorescu teodorescu.serban at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 21:28:20 UTC 2016

Setting on *http* level the *client_max_body_size* param is all you need on
nginx side.
Unless of course you are setting it again inside server level - as this
would overwrite the http setting.
How do you reach from nginx to apache? By a *proxy_pass* directive?
If so, and if you have *proxy_intercept_errors** on*, it is possible that
in fact apache is complaining about file size.

You should check the logs of nginx and apache for that upload and see:
1. Does apache gets that post in the logs? If nginx cuts the upload you
might not see anything in apache logs
2. What is the response code in apache logs?

Furthermore, during testing, you should make sure *proxy_intercept_errors *is
not on.

Hope this helps.

În lun., 18 ian. 2016 la 18:26, Pedro G Silva <pedro.gracio at deimos.com.pt>
a scris:

> I set it on http. Can't enter on the directories at sites-enabled and
> sites-available. I dont know where nginx conencts to ckan, since you guys
> also use apache. This is just a standard install from your packages
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > On 18 Jan 2016, at 16:08, Pedro G Silva <pedro.gracio at deimos.com.pt>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi All
>> > Im trying to upload a 250MB file to the latest version of ckan (wget
>> http://packaging.ckan.org/python-ckan_2.5-trusty_amd64.deb)
>> >
>> > So after I tried to upload the file and got this error, I adjusted the
>> ckan.max_resource_size  and ckan.max_image_size to suitable values.
>> Restarted nginx, apache. Error persisted, so I went to nginx config
>> (/etc/nginx/nginx.conf) and added client_max_body_size 500M; . Restarted
>> apache and nginx, but the error still persists. Any insight?
>>
>> Did you set client_max_body size in a location block, server, or http ?
>>
>> It's probably best if you add to to whatever your file is called in
>> /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/MYCONF.conf inside a location block that routes to
>> CKAN.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Ross

> [image: DEIMOS Engenharia, SA] <http://www.deimos.pt>
> *Pedro Gracio Silva*
> Aerospace Systems / Production Center
>
> *Av. D. Joao II, Lt 1.17.01, 10 • 1998-023 Lisboa, Portugal*
> Ph: +351 21 893 3020 • Fax: +351 21 896 9099

Serban Teodorescu
SysEngineer / DevOps