[ckan-dev] Feedback - "Tracking" feature usage.

Tyler Kennedy tk at tkte.ch
Tue Jul 5 17:49:58 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I would like some feedback on if any of you are currently using the
"tracking" functionality currently in core CKAN, and what in particular you
are using it for (the search sorting, "hot-or-not" flags, etc...).

The tracking functionality implementation is extremely subpar and in my
opinion is not of a sufficient quality to reside in the core. Even if
improved, it's the kind of functionality that would be great if implemented
as an extension, even if it's an extension that comes bundled-but-disabled
by default. Removing this from the core will allow us to remove more than
1k lines of python and about 300 lines of Javascript + templating, not
including all of the legacy tests associated with it.

If there is little usage of this module as-is, I will be proposing it's
deprecation and retirement in CKAN 2.6.

Thank you,
Tyler Kennedy