[ckan-dev] CKAN and External Data Sources

Frischling, Bill BFrischling at usnews.com
Wed Jun 22 16:40:01 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone…

New convert to CKAN. We’re testing it to help us better leverage our internal data.

We’re working on adapting fadein.dk’s dataproxy (http://extensions.ckan.org/extension/dataproxy/) to be able to to:

  *   Read/display Mysql data (initial)
  *   “Marry” the database to CKAN so it becomes like an internal data store (next step… CKAN and the databases would be in the same internal VPC).

Based on the documentation, it appears CKAN is actively moving away from remote data (after this, we want to look at a similar approach to merge ETL of json/xml into the CKAN view). We’ve identified where in the code we need to adapt to permit this remote access (remote to CKAN, in the same cloud), but if we’re going down a cul-de-sac, better to know now.

My question: are we going down a bad road and if so, is there a way others would recommend to achieve the end goal, which would be to make our existing internal databases visible to our reporters via CKAN without wholesale migration. Nearly everything we have internal is MySQL/Postgres and the CKAN interface is simple, elegant, useful, and has the added benefit of adding a generic API to quickly let our reporters plug into our CMS to generate charts/graphs, etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated. And we plan to open source the plug-in adaptation once we’re done testing. Thank you.

Bill Frischling
Vice President / Entrepreneur-in-Residence
P: +1 202 955 2631 • C: +1 703 623 1424
bfrischling at usnews.com<mailto:bfrischling at usnews.com>
[Title: U.S. News and World Report]