[ckan-dev] Caching

Florian.Brucker at mb.karlsruhe.de Florian.Brucker at mb.karlsruhe.de
Tue Mar 29 15:20:56 UTC 2016

Hello everybody,

I'm using Nginx as a caching proxy in front of Apache serving our CKAN
instance, as described in the CKAN docs [0]. Most things work fine, however
I've noticed that CKAN seems to add a "Cache-Control: private" HTTP-header
to all responses except static files, even if the request does not come
from a logged-in user. I do understand why one might want to bypass the
cache for logged-in users (as it's done in the Nginx config example in the
CKAN docs [1]), but why disable (public) caching for the generated HTML for
not-logged-in requests? In my tests without a cache, page generation took
much longer then downloading all the static content, so caching the
generated HTML would make a lot of sense in my opinion.

[0] http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/maintaining/installing/deployment.html
[1]
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/maintaining/installing/deployment.html#create-the-nginx-config-file

Regards,