[ckan-dev] Error running solr in a container

Derek Hohls dhohls at csir.co.za
Wed May 25 09:55:06 UTC 2016

Hi

Hope the list can help with this problem...

I have setup and run a full CKAN install without problems in a VM.

Now I am trying to run solr in a separate container.  I have done this, using the Docker image from https://hub.docker.com/r/idguk/docker-solr/ (the official solr Docker could not be used as it does not support the very old version - 3.6 -  which is used by CKAN). The Docker is linked, via the "-v" option, to the `schema.xml` file sourced from `python-ckan_2.5-trusty_amd64.deb`.

However, calling:

    ckan db init

triggers off an error; specifically this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/ckan/default/src/ckan/ckan/lib/search/common.py", line 51, in is_available
    conn.query("*:*", rows=1)
  File "/usr/lib/ckan/default/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/solr/core.py", line 703, in query
    return self.select(*args, **params)
  File "/usr/lib/ckan/default/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/solr/core.py", line 798, in __call__
    xml = self.raw(**params)
  File "/usr/lib/ckan/default/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/solr/core.py", line 823, in raw
    rsp = conn._post(self.selector, request, conn.form_headers)
  File "/usr/lib/ckan/default/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/solr/core.py", line 639, in _post
    return check_response_status(self.conn.getresponse())
  File "/usr/lib/ckan/default/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/solr/core.py", line 1097, in check_response_status
    raise ex

On checking the `solr/core.py` file, it seems as if its the call to `solr/select/` that triggers the issue.

Access via a browser to this URL (the container version of solr) shows a Java error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrServlet.doGet(SolrServlet.java:92)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1221)
    at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:306)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1212)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:399)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:766)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:450)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:542)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:928)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:549)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:212)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228)
    at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582)

But in the VM-version of solr, the same call generates an XML document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
    <lst name="responseHeader">
    <int name="status">0</int>
    <int name="QTime">1</int>
    <lst name="params"/></lst>
    <result name="response" numFound="0" start="0"/>
</response>

I'd appreciate if anyone could highlight what I have missed in the configuration that could cause this error.

Thanks
Derek

and is believed to be clean.