[ckan-dev] Updated Code is Not Being Run During Development (Ckan and Spatial Plugin)

Nathan Hook nhook at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 17 21:40:49 UTC 2016

Good Afternoon,

I am having some serious confusion with my development environment and any
friendly information would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the steps I'm doing to try test/write code:

Update the code for a file in our custom plugin (plugin.py), save the file.
Stop/start the paster serve command.

Updated/changed debug statements that were changed in the plugin.py file
will not appear in the paster.log file.

Things are the same when attempting to run the harvester via the paster
harvest run_test command.

I follow the same steps as above, but even more curious is that if one of
the commands (paster serve or paster harvest run_test)  does majically get
the updated code, the other command doesn't seem to get the updated code at
all.  Very frustrating.  :(

I feel as though I've installed the plugin correctly and every once in
awhile I do see my code changes, but not consistently every time.

Is there something else that needs to be done besides just saving the code
and stopping/starting the server/havester again?  Do we need to run the
python setup.py develop command after every code change?

Does anyone have any friendly information or hints to help get my code to
be consistently updated?

Thank you for your time,

Nathan