[ckan-dev] extending the metadata schema

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Fri Nov 4 20:56:00 UTC 2016

If you're extending your dataset schema and validation just for API
use then IDatasetForm is all you need. If you're planning to use your
new fields in CKAN's dataset forms and HTML display then
ckanext-scheming is likely to save you some time.

IDatasetForm is lower level. It lets you define validation and
customize form and dataset display templates, but you have to do each
of those things separately. Scheming comes with a bunch of common form
fields and validation rules and lets you extend them if they don't
match your needs.

Scheming doesn't come with the same calibre of documentation that CKAN
has, though, so that tutorial you asked about doesn't exist yet. It's
been suggested that we merge Scheming into core CKAN since a number of
users seem to like it. Maybe better docs will come when someone
contributes that change :-)

Ian