[ckan-dev] Updated Code is Not Being Run During Development (Ckan and Spatial Plugin)

Nathan Hook nhook at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 21 16:08:15 UTC 2016

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the nice reply.

I am embarrassed to say, but I had a case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between
Keyboard and Chair).

I am new to python and the ckan environment/framework and I did not realize
that I had accidentally started ~8 instances of the spacial fetcher and
harvester running all at once and that it really was a crap shoot on which
one was being called and of course each instance had different code running
for it...  It was confusing.  :)

SO, instead of running the harvesters (fetch and gather) individually, I
have started running the "paster harvester run_test" command and that
process has been working much better.

And to answer your question.  We installed the harvester and spatial
plugins according to the directions provided on github/the plugin website.
I was running the fetcher/harvester commands by hand and using our
development.ini file.

Thank you again for your reply.

Regards,

Nathan

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 6:02 AM, Matthew Fullerton <matt.fullerton at gmail.com>
wrote:

> How did you install the plugin? There is a development mode where CKAN
uses the plugin files and a production mode where the files are copied into
the CKAN's virtual environment.

> On 17 November 2016 at 21:40, Nathan Hook <nhook at ucar.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Good Afternoon,
>>
>> I am having some serious confusion with my development environment and
any friendly information would be greatly appreciated.

>> Here are the steps I'm doing to try test/write code:
>>
>> Update the code for a file in our custom plugin (plugin.py), save the
file.
>> Stop/start the paster serve command.
>>
>> Updated/changed debug statements that were changed in the plugin.py file
will not appear in the paster.log file.

>> Things are the same when attempting to run the harvester via the paster
harvest run_test command.

>> I follow the same steps as above, but even more curious is that if one
of the commands (paster serve or paster harvest run_test)  does majically
get the updated code, the other command doesn't seem to get the updated
code at all.  Very frustrating.  :(

>> I feel as though I've installed the plugin correctly and every once in
awhile I do see my code changes, but not consistently every time.

>> Is there something else that needs to be done besides just saving the
code and stopping/starting the server/havester again?  Do we need to run
the python setup.py develop command after every code change?