[ckan-dev] The metadata in multilingual context

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Sat Oct 1 21:50:06 UTC 2016

If you're looking to *store* multiple languages for metadata in CKAN I
suggest using https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-scheming along with
https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-fluent. For core fields like "title"
and "notes" make sure to use
https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-fluent#fluent_core_translated-fields
so that CKAN will pick up and display the correct values for the user
visiting the site.

CKAN's tags don't have support for translations. Consider using
https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-fluent#fluent_tags-fields instead as a
different field name (If you use "tags" you'll run into trouble).
We've chosen to use a new "keywords" field to store multilingual tags.
To make those work with search you need to add a small
IPackageController plugin for before_index to store the different tag
fields.

For proper stemming when searching you'll also need to add the fields
to your solr schema. This isn't built in to the fluent extension yet
because it's hard to generalise without switching to dynamic solr
schemas in core CKAN.