[ckan-dev] Antwort: Re: road map for horizontal scaling?

Florian.Brucker at mb.karlsruhe.de Florian.Brucker at mb.karlsruhe.de
Thu Oct 6 05:27:01 UTC 2016

One thing to keep in mind that usually only the metadata is stored within
PostgreSQL, while the actual, usually much larger data itself is stored
elsewhere (often not even on the same server).

You can store actual data in PostgreSQL, and some of CKAN's extended
functionality requires it (see the Datastore extension), but it's by no
means a hard requirement.

Regards,
Florian

"ckan-dev" <ckan-dev-bounces at lists.okfn.org> schrieb am 05.10.2016
21:40:57:

> Von: "Ruima E." <ruimaximo at gmail.com>
> An: CKAN Development Discussions <ckan-dev at lists.okfn.org>,
> Datum: 05.10.2016 21:41
> Betreff: Re: [ckan-dev] road map for horizontal scaling?
> Gesendet von: "ckan-dev" <ckan-dev-bounces at lists.okfn.org>
>
> Thank you Tim!
> I am asking these questions because I am considering installing a
> CKAN as a data hub for a city. It seems a very promising ideia but I
> am concerned that if tomorrow the number of datasets grows and we
> will need it to be distributed through several machines, the
> PosgreSQL might be a bottleneck and a headache.
> When I think about scale I have in mind the example of Hadoop. If
> tomorrow the datasets cannot fit one machine, just add one more
> node, edit a few text files and it works seamless. I am afraid that
> with PosgreSQL that is not the case, or am I wrong?
>
> Best regards,
> RMX
>

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 8:52 PM, Timothy Giles <timothy.giles at slu.se>
wrote:
> Hi RMX.
>
> I wonder if you can give a concrete example of what you mean by
> scale? Since this is a dev forum/mailing list, I think it would
> helpful to quantify your issue(s) / conern(s). There are instances
> of CKAN with hundred of thousands and millions of datasets, as well
> as individual datasets being extremely large ('00s GBs).
>
> MvH Tim

CKAN?