[ckan-dev] FileStore migration - safe to delete pairtree_root directory?

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Tue Sep 6 11:46:56 UTC 2016

Hi all,

we recently made a CKAN upgrade for a client from CKAN 2.2 to CKAN 2.5, and
in the course of that we ran the filestore-migrate command (
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/maintaining/filestore.html#migration-from-2-1-to-2-2)
to finally move to a more stable FileStore implementation (we had plenty of
issues with the old one).

After the migration I noticed that now doubled the storage needed, and a
quick look in the migration code seems to back this up, as all the files
are written again using the new filestore.

So now I have the following directories with their size:

16G     /var/www/ckan/default/pairtree_root

12G     /var/www/ckan/default/resources

I know it's not a lot of data, but I still wonder: is it safe to simply
remove the /var/www/ckan/default/pairtree_root directory? Has anyone
already tried that?

Best regards Stefan

--
Liip AG  // Limmatstrasse 183 //  CH-8005 Zürich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch