[ckan-dev] CKAN-specific considerations for DCAT-AP

Fabian Kirstein fabian.kirstein at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Jan 6 13:55:16 UTC 2017

Hi Florian,

I'm part of the team, which is developing the European Data Portal
(https://www.europeandataportal.eu). We are also supporting DCAT-AP. It
is part of our CKAN extension
(https://gitlab.com/european-data-portal/ckanext-edp). We wanted to
extract the specific functionality into an extra extension, but due to
restrictions of the CKAN extension API this is not possible. But maybe
it helps you anyways. We have basically created a mapping from DCAT-AP
to CKAN extra fields.
(https://gitlab.com/european-data-portal/ckanext-edp/blob/master/ckanext/eodp/schema/schema.py).
So we adding the DCAT-AP as CKAN flavor to be compliant to the CKAN API.
But we converting it then to RDF and storing it in a triplestore too.
(Done here
https://gitlab.com/european-data-portal/ckanext-edp/tree/master/ckanext/eodp/sparql_store).
So we can offer both, the CKAN API with a lot of extra fields and a
Linked Data interface. Linked Data can be access by a SPARQL endpoint (
https://www.europeandataportal.eu/sparql-manager/en/) or by adding rdf
to a dataset, e.g.
https://www.europeandataportal.eu/data/en/dataset/bathymetric-survey-2006-08-01-the-sloyne.rdf.
One downside from this solution at the moment is that we are routing
everything through the CKAN schema, which may lead into some loosing of
nested RDF properties. But we are working on a mechanism to directly
harvest data into the triplestore.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Fabian

On 16.12.2016 11:09, Florian.Brucker at mb.karlsruhe.de wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The German council responsible for the metadata standard for open
> government data  has recently decided to develop a custom DCAT-AP
> profile "DCAT-AP.DE". That profile will be used for collecting and
> exchanging meta data in the open data portals of the German
> administration (on federal, state and municipal level). Many of the
> German open data portals are CKAN-based, so I'm wondering if there's
> anything CKAN-specific that we should keep in mind while developing
> DCAT-AP.DE. I'm aware of ckanext-dcat but have never used it myself.
>
> Does anybody have experiences with using CKAN for DCAT-AP and profiles
> derived from it?
>
> Thanks for any input!
>

> Regards,
> Florian

Fabian Kirstein M.Sc.
Fraunhofer-Institut für Offene Kommunikationssysteme FOKUS
Digital Public Services (DPS)

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31
10589 Berlin, Deutschland
Tel.  + 49 30 3463 7718