[ckan-dev] ckanext-scheming

Armin Retterath armin.retterath at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:05:10 UTC 2017

hi together,

i solved the problems by creating a simple extension (i will expose it
later) for translating the titles of by use a central schema and give the
possibility to choose a special schema when creating a new package.

following steps are needed.

1. define your own schemes with different dataset-type identifiers/names
2. for the translation add s.th. like

"dataset_type_label":
    {
      "en": "govdata json 1.0 template",
      "de": "GovData OpenData Datensatz"
    }
3. define a central schema with a special dataset-type "dataset", this is
only used for the translation of the classifications and holds all
classifications of all dataset-types
4. adopt the templates: organization/read.html, package/search.html,
snippets/facet_list.html, search_form.html, user/dashboard_dataset.html

all other things are done by simply defining json schemas and usage of
ckanext-scheming ;-)

the main problem for me, was to understand how the solr index is connected
to the database/scheming elements.

you have to adopt the schema.xml for multi select elements and you have to
know, that all resource extra elements are automatically extracted as
res_extras_{name of your custom resource attribute}. conventionally
choosing the a name like "res_..." for custom resource attributes, the
index field would become "res_extras_res..." . If you have a single choice
(multiValued=false) element defined in one of your schemes, you have to
define a new line like

<field name="res_extras_res_transparency_document_change_classification"
type="string" indexed="true" stored="true" multiValued="false"/>

before the default extraction handlers:

<dynamicField name="extras_*" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"
multiValued="false"/>
<dynamicField name="res_extras_*" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"
multiValued="true"/>

hope this may hep someone to use ckanext-scheming to built up transparency
portals which not only serve data but also documents with special
classifications ;-)

best regards from germany and many thanx for the support

armin