[ckan-dev] How to provide a different home page, from an extension?

Jenny Brown jenny.brown at climate.com
Mon Jul 31 19:56:27 UTC 2017

I'd like to replace the default home page (layout1 with 4 boxes) with
custom content that includes data not provided by the default controller
code.  I'd prefer to do this from my extension rather than changing ckan
core source.

At a high level, what are the steps I need to follow to do this?

My guesses:
* implement IRoutes, override the route for the home page to go to my
controller
* implement my controller and use it for data lookup
* provide my web template that uses the new data

I'm struggling a little to understand exactly how to override the route for
the home page... so I want to make sure I'm at least chasing the right
strategy.  I've overridden templates for styling before but this is my
first time trying to replace a controller.

Thanks.