[ckan-dev] Encoding problems with DataStore

Florian.Brucker at it.karlsruhe.de Florian.Brucker at it.karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 14 16:48:44 UTC 2017

Hi everybody,

I'm having encoding problems with a non-ASCII CSV file that I manually
upload to CKAN and which is then stored in the DataStore by the
DataPusher.

If I store the file on disk encoded as UTF-8 then the non-ASCII characters
in it get mangled in the DataStore (e.g. "ß" is mangled to "\u0102\xf9"
instead of "\xdf"). If, on the other hand, I store the file locally in
Latin1 encoding then it is represented correctly in the DataPusher.
However, in that case, downloading the file will obviously also return it
as Latin1, whereas I want the download to be in UTF-8. This happens both
for Firefox and Chrome.

The strange thing is that I do have previously uploaded other UTF-8
encoded CSV files without any problems.

I'm currently out of ideas, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Florian