[ckan-dev] Offering the same resource in multiple file formats

Florian.Brucker at it.karlsruhe.de Florian.Brucker at it.karlsruhe.de
Tue Mar 7 13:19:24 UTC 2017

Hi everybody,

I often would like to offer the same resource in multiple file formats.
For example, Excel's auto-import for CSV is rather broken, so instead of
mangling all our CSV-files to suit Excel's needs I'd rather just offer
XSLX-files of the same data in addition to "standard"-compliant CSV-files
for everybody else.

However, I definitely don't want to manually maintain the separate
versions. Has anybody set up automated ways of doing this? Off the top of
my head, I could image

1. Generating converted copies when the original resource is
created/modified
2. Generating converted copies when they are requested

Both have their pros and cons, so I'd love the hear some real-world
experiences.

In addition I'm wondering about the best way to present this choice to the
user.

Regards,
Florian