[ckan-dev] question about private/public datasets

Adil Hasan adilhasan2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:46:42 UTC 2018

Hello,
I have played around a little with CKAN. What I would like to do is to
create a dataset the is initially private accessible only to the user
and stakeholders for that dataset.

I thought I may be able to achieve this with groups. But, it seems not
to work. What I did was to create Users A and B and register them with
the same organisation O1. Then I created a group G1 and registered user
A with the group. User A created a dataset which was marked private.

However, user B was still able to see the dataset even though they were
not a member of the group G1. I guess private datasets works only on the
organisation? So, each dataset would need to have a separate
organisation?

I'm using the most recent version of CKAN.

I have another question. Does anyone use CKAN as a data archive?

Many thanks,
adil