[ckan-dev] CKAN 3.0 Roadmap

Kevin Brochet-Nguyen kevin at viderum.com
Fri Aug 31 19:54:17 UTC 2018

Hi all,

As I mentioned in a couple of earlier threads, we’ve been working on a roadmap for CKAN 3.0. It’s ready now. Below is a link to it. It’s currently a Google Doc for ease of reading, but we’ll be converting it into a GitHub project for better visibility and tracking.

Besides an outline of the work to be done, the document also includes an explanation of how we went about creating the roadmap, what the goals are, what concerns or external factors influenced what we chose or didn’t choose. If you want to skip that prose, there’s clickable table of contents at the beginning.

The roadmap is the result of discussions here on the mailing list, as well as on GitHub, and talks with the Steering Group and the Tech Team as well as conversations with developers and users from the CKAN community. For the sake of transparency, I'm a Viderum employee and I led the effort, but a lot of people from different organizations contributed their time and thoughts and edits. The document is group effort. In particular I’d like the thank Joel Natividad and Steven De Costa from the Steering Group, Adrià Mercader, Ian Ward, and David Read from the Tech Team, and Florian Brucker, Stefan Oderbolz, Krzysztof Madejski, and Ross Jones from the community for all the detailed feedback and helpful suggestions and criticisms they provided.

Any roadmap is a living document and this one is no exception. It may evolve based on resources or needs or feeback over the next year. Comments are welcome. And contributions even more so. And of course, if there’s some feature that you really want to see in CKAN core that’s not on the list, we’d be more than happy if you rolled up your sleeves and pitched in (or got your organization to fund it). ;)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NTwwH8FdCw3MhfYxfGgyOZrXECgOQ2hoaA2vD_bwkR4/edit?usp=sharing

Kind regards,
Kevin

--
Kevin Brochet-Nguyen
Sofware Developer

Viderum – ein Unternehmen der Open Knowledge Foundation
http://www.viderum.de/  |  @videruminc

Viderum GmbH
Marchlewskistr. 101
10243 Berlin

Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Registernummer HRB 176512 B
Geschäftsführer: Sebastian Moleski