[ckan-dev] Intoducing ckanext-validation: integrated data validation and reporting in CKAN

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Mon Jan 15 10:19:16 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce the release of a new CKAN extension focused in data
quality. As part of the Frictionless Data [1] project, we at Open Knowledge
International have been working on a new extension that integrates with
goodtables [2], a powerful library for tabular data validation.

Here's a list of the main features:

* Perform automatic data validation in the background
* Validate files at upload time
* Dedicated report page listing issues found with the data
* Ability to provide a data schema for schema-based validation (eg the
contents of this column should be a date, or between 1 and 100, etc)
* Report generation with summaries for all issues found in all files

You can get a better overview on this blog post published on ckan.org:

https://ckan.org/2018/01/15/introducing-ckanext-validation-data-validation-and-reporting-integrated-in-ckan/

Or if you want to dive right in, here's the extension repository with an
extensive README documenting installatio, configuration and features:

https://github.com/frictionlessdata/ckanext-validation

Looking forward to any feedback and comments, we see lots of potential in
this so we are keen to see how it might be used in novel ways!

Adrià

[1] https://frictionlessdata.io
[2] https://github.com/frictionlessdata/goodtables-py