[ckan-dev] About the impact of AGPL License of CKAN on CKAN extensions

Ricardo Pinho ricardodepinho at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:49:13 UTC 2018

Hi,
If the authors of this amazing solution CKAN, choosed AGPL license, the
strongest copyleft GNU license, was because are where committed on making
available complete source code of licensed works and modifications under
the same license.
I must advise you on reading this to understand and change your mind on
using proprietary licenses!

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-affero-gpl.html

*But suppose the program is mainly useful on servers. When D modifies the
program, he might very likely run it on his own server and never release
copies. Then you would never get a copy of the source code of his version,
so you would never have the chance to include his changes in your version.
You may not like that outcome.Using the GNU Affero GPL avoids that outcome.
If D runs his version on a server that everyone can use, you too can use
it. Assuming he has followed the license requirement to let the server's
users download the source code of his version, you can do so, and then you
can incorporate his changes into your version. (If he hasn't followed it,
you have your lawyer complain to him.)*

https://choosealicense.com/licenses/agpl-3.0/
*Permissions of this strongest copyleft license are conditioned on making
available complete source code of licensed works and modifications, which
include larger works using a licensed work, under the same license.
Copyright and license notices must be preserved. Contributors provide an
express grant of patent rights. When a modified version is used to provide
a service over a network, the complete source code of the modified version
must be made available. *

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License

*The GNU Affero General Public License is designed specifically to ensure
that, in such cases, the modified source code becomes available to the
community.It requires the operator of a network server to provide the
source code of the modified version running there to the users of that
server.Therefore, public use of a modified version, on a publicly
accessible server, gives the public access to the source code of the
modified version.*

If we believe and want to live in and Open World, we must believe there is
no place for proprietary licenses!
https://openrevolution.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevj7sa6ZAg&t=45

Cheers.

zonghuanwu <zonghuanwu at huawei.com> escreveu no dia quarta, 24/10/2018 à(s)
07:30:

> Will the CKAN AGPL License restrict third party CKAN extensions to be
> open-source?
>

> In other words, can a third-party CKAN extension be proprietary?
>

> Thank you in advance for the help,
>

> Bradley

Ricardo Pinho