[ckan-dev] About the impact of AGPL License of CKAN on CKAN extensions

zonghuanwu zonghuanwu at huawei.com
Thu Oct 25 14:29:28 UTC 2018

Thank you Guido!

Very helpful advice and information.

Best,

Bradley

From: ckan-dev [mailto:ckan-dev-bounces at lists.okfn.org] On Behalf Of Guido Stein
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:00 PM
To: CKAN Development Discussions <ckan-dev at lists.okfn.org>
Subject: Re: [ckan-dev] About the impact of AGPL License of CKAN on CKAN extensions

Hey Bradley,

I am not a lawyer, you would need to speak to a lawyer for a definitive answer.

That said, I think that what you are asking is:

"If you write a piece of code that uses a library that is AGPL does this mean that you need to also use the same license for your code?"

Short answer is no, you do not need to adopt AGPL unless you are editing the original library source code.

Here is another way to think about this.

"If someone makes a web service that has an API for sharing data, does that mean any tool that access that api using REST endpoints now has to be licensed in the same manner as the code behind the web service?"

Again the answer is no.

Here is a place where this discussion has more examples and ideas:
https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/107883/agpl-what-you-can-do-and-what-you-cant

It's a fair question to ask. And this is my take on it, but as I said when I started, this is a legal question best resolved by a lawyer.

-Guido