[ckan-dev] Essence of DCAT and Linked data in CKAN

Stefan Oderbolz odi at metaodi.ch
Fri Mar 15 07:23:55 UTC 2019

Hi,

Your questions are very broad, I try to answer them to the best of my
knowledge.

1. What is the essence of DCAT in CKAN?

CKAN does not support DCAT out of the box, but there is the ckanext-dcat
extension (https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-dcat) to add DCAT functionality.

 2. How to see the information about DCAT in my CKAN instance?

Assuming you're using ckanext-dcat, it provides several DCAT-specific API
endpoints to expose CKAN datasets or even the whole catalogue as RDF. Plese
see the README for details:
https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-dcat/blob/master/README.md#rdf-dcat-endpoints

3. How can linked data help in CKAN repository.

This depends on your use case. It might be useful to expose your metadata
as RDF for harvesting purposes.
But if you define "linked data" as exposing metadata + actual data, you
need a triple store, which CKAN currently does not provide. I'm not aware
of an extension that does that, but I remember a talk at CKANCon some
years ago about that topic. Maybe someone else has more details.

Another take on this is exposing your data as "structured data" (JSON-LD)
so your favourite search engine has more information about your datasets. I
wrote a blogpost about this a while ago (
https://www.liip.ch/en/blog/make-open-data-discoverable-for-search-engines)
and you can find it in the README of ckanext-dcat as well (
https://github.com/ckan/ckanext-dcat/blob/master/README.md#structured-data-and-google-dataset-search-indexing
)

4. What are the different functionalities in which linked data can make
> impacts?

Again this is not related to CKAN, but generally Linked Data helps to
connect your data to others. With SPARQL you have a powerful query language
and with federated queries you can get answers based on several data
sources (e.g. Wikidata, a statistic office and yourhown data).

Hope this helps.

- Stefan