[ckan-discuss] Setting up CKAN for Romania?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Aug 2 14:13:23 BST 2010

Hi Liliana,

Thanks for writing and really good to hear from you. Some responses
inlined below.

On 28 July 2010 09:37, Liliana Bounegru <liliana.bounegru at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> I foresee some difficulties in setting this up also, starting from obtaining
> the data (I don't expect Romanian authorities to respond to requests for
> information as quickly as I saw that UK authorities do for documents posted
> in the CKAN database), to media literacy, but I hope to get the support and
> guidance necessary to get this project going from OKF.

You can always start out scraping the data yourself or hand-entering
it! Also CKAN instances do not just have to be for government data.

> Why do I want to make this project happen in Romania? As you may have
> guessed, I am a 25 year old Romanian trying to find a way to contribute to
> seeing some social change in Romania. After my attempts to make things
> happen from the inside failed, I am now project coordinator for the European
> Journalism Centre (Maastricht/Brussels), where I am working on a project
> which aims to train journalists to make use of free and open online datasets
> for reporting - Jonathan Gray (OKF)  will be giving a talk about this in our
> upcoming event (www.datadrivenjournalism.net). In fall I will be starting a

Given your background and interested you may also be interested in
another OKF project: <http://www.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/>

> Research Master in Media Studies at the University of Amsterdam, with a
> grant offered by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
> I hope to have your support on this and looking forward to get things
> started!

Sounds amazing Liliana. Two immediate options for what we can do:

1. You could start contributing datasets (Romanian or otherwise) to
http://ckan.net
2. We could set up a dedicated ro.ckan.net instance.

Which option would you prefer?

In either case you would probably want to translate the site into
romanian which we can help organize. Would you be up for doing this
translation? (It does not involve much work)