[ckan-discuss] CKAN branching policy

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Aug 26 15:43:36 BST 2010

Dear all,

I've drafted a Branching Policy to help us codifying use of Mercurial
branches for CKAN releases and bug-fixes:
http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/wiki/BranchingPolicy

It reflects the system they use to develop different Python versions (
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0374/#backport ), but instead of
naming branches after their version numbers, they are named after the
maturity of the version, which suits our more frequent releases. This
allows 'metastable' to always to be a beta, 'stable' to be the latest
solid release and 'ultrastable' to be the previous-but-one release.

We'd love to know if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.