[ckan-discuss] CKAN UI improvements #1 - Package Page

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Wed Dec 1 19:37:57 GMT 2010

On 1 Dec 2010, at 17:34, Richard Pope wrote:
> Updated version here taking in to considerations Richard's feedback:
>
> http://ckan.org/wiki/UIRedesignPackage
>
> - Merged the first two columns in the downloads table

Hm, a slight concern is that you can sometimes have multiple resources
with the same format, e.g.,

Format   Description
CSV      List of primary schools
CSV      List of secondary schools
CSV      List of special schools

Making the first column the download link might be a bit confusing,
people might think that it's a link that explains what CSV is, rather
than a link to the resource. I guess I would prefer:

Description                 Format
List of primary schools     CSV
List of secondary schools   CSV
List of special schools     CSV

where the description is the link to the resource. Only problem I can
see with that model is when there is no description -- in this case it
would probably have to default to some sensible text:

Description                 Format
List of primary schools     CSV
List of secondary schools   CSV
List of special schools     CSV
[No description]            Excel

> - Moved the source link back to the top at original size, but kept url
> shortening,  added 'source:' and lined up with title so hopefully
> still clearer

Yup, works for me.

> - Changed the API section so it is the same light grey as tables

I can live with this.

> - I'm not 100% sold on 'collections' but will leave it in for now and
> see if anything else comes up. Whatever it ends up as I think it needs
> to explain that these things are essentially curated collections of
> packages.

+1 for that explanation. Do you think that simply leaving it with the
current terminology “Groups” would be too much of a problem? And
maybe: “Groups are collections of packages, curated by CKAN users.”

Best,
Richard